Applying for a duplicate marriage certificate

When you petition for divorce you have to give the court your marriage certificate.  This must be either the one you were given when you got married, or a duplicate certificate.  A photocopy is not acceptable.

Records of all marriages contracted in Devon (other than Plymouth and Torbay) are kept centrally by Devon County Council.  You can apply for a duplicate certificate online, or by telephone.  Alternatively you can apply to the General Register Office in Southport.  Full details of how to get your duplicate marriage certificate can be found here (opens in new window).