Grandparents and contact with their grandchildren

When a child’s parents separate, the child’s grandparents can apply to the court for a contact order (that is, an order requiring the parent with whom the child is living to make the child available for contact).  BUT the grandparents first have to apply to the court for permission to make an application for a contact order, so it is a two-stage process (first get permission, then make the contact application).  This inevitably means more delay and more cost for the grandparents.  This system has been much criticised.

The Government has recently reviewed the system and has decided to leave it alone.  Many practitioners and commentators feel this is a pity and an opportunity lost.