Home rights

If you are separating or divorcing and your matrimonial home is owned by your spouse, you should register your ‘home rights’ at the Land Registry. ¬†Registering your home rights effectively prevents your spouse from dealing with the property (e.g. selling it or mortgaging it) without your consent.

Until the introduction of civil partnerships, home rights were known as ‘matrimonial home rights’.