Personal service of a divorce petition

Normally the court will serve the divorce petition on the respondent by post.  The petitioner is allowed to arrange for the papers to be served personally on the respondent (handed to them in person), but it is against the rules for the petitioner to carry out personal service themselves – it must be done by somebody else on their behalf, for example by the Court Bailiff or by a professional process server.