Swear or affirm?

During your divorce you may have to swear an affidavit, or swear that the contents of a statement or a financial disclosure form are true.  If you are uncomfortable with the idea of swearing an oath, you can opt for the non-religious version, called affirmation.  Simply tell the person administering the oath (a solicitor or court official) that you want to affirm rather than swear.